Just because Easter is over, it doesn’t mean that our chocolate cravings are about to go away – so we thought we’d share our delicious chocolate chip scone recipe with you. The dark chocolate chip scones were featured on our Chocolate Bunny Easter Afternoon Tea, and they were a big hit! Our recipe is simple and quick to do, children will love it and you surely will as well. Pair it with a full bodied loose leaf tea like our organic Cream Earl Grey, organic Blue Sapphire Earl Grey – or if you dare to go chocolate all the way, go for our caffeine free Mint Chocolate Rooibos tea. Enjoy!
Ingredients (makes 10 scones):
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups of flour
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup of dark chocolate chips
10 tablespoons of brown or white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon zest of orange (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking tray with a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Grate or chop the butter into small pieces then add it in, working the mix until it resembles coarse meal.
- In a separate bowl, blend the egg and heavy cream (and optional zest), then add to the butter and flour mixture. Use a spatula to work the dough until it is slightly softened – but be careful not to overwork it.
- Turn out the dough on a floured surface. Roll into a large circle, about 1/2 inch thick. With a 2 1/2 biscuit cutter, cut out 10 scones. You can make a few miniature scones with any left over dough – a lovely little treat to enjoy later and the perfect size for kids too! Place the scones on the baking tray with some room apart as the scones will expand while baking.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 11-12 minutes. Remove and cool.
Serve fresh from the oven or later at room temperature. We suggest eating the scones with a little bit of your favorite jam and clotted cream (you may also use double or whipped cream). Enjoy!